Updated Mar 8, 2014 - 7:48 am
Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
Carlson, 29, has been in the league for six seasons after being selected by the Seattle Seahawks out of Notre Dame in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft.
The 6-foot-5, 248-pounder spent the last two seasons with the Minnesota Vikings. In 2013, he played in 13 games, starting eight, and caught 32 passes for 344 yards and a touchdown.
His 2013 season was cut short by a concussion Dec. 8 in a game against the Baltimore Ravens, the third the tight end has suffered in his career. He would miss the last three games of the season, and according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, considered retirement.
"That's something that my wife and I will consider. After every season it's an evaluation period because of the nature of our business. Players move around, players get cut, coaches get fired, things happen. So in that sense, every year is an evaluation period and this year will be no different. And the concussion part of it will be in that conversation."
For his career, Carson has 177 receptions for 1,906 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Carlson was released by Minnesota earlier in the week after signing a five-year, $25 million deal last offseason.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.