Updated Mar 8, 2014 - 7:48 am
Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
Carlson, 29, has been in the league for six seasons after being selected by the Seattle Seahawks out of Notre Dame in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft.
The 6-foot-5, 248-pounder spent the last two seasons with the Minnesota Vikings. In 2013, he played in 13 games, starting eight, and caught 32 passes for 344 yards and a touchdown.
His 2013 season was cut short by a concussion Dec. 8 in a game against the Baltimore Ravens, the third the tight end has suffered in his career. He would miss the last three games of the season, and according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, considered retirement.
"That's something that my wife and I will consider. After every season it's an evaluation period because of the nature of our business. Players move around, players get cut, coaches get fired, things happen. So in that sense, every year is an evaluation period and this year will be no different. And the concussion part of it will be in that conversation."
For his career, Carson has 177 receptions for 1,906 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Carlson was released by Minnesota earlier in the week after signing a five-year, $25 million deal last offseason.
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.