Bruce Arians on coach/GM relationship: 'It's not about individual accomplishments'
Take, for instance, what is apparently happening in San Francisco with head coach Jim Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke.
That's not the case in Arizona, though, as Bruce Arians and Steve Keim appear to be very much on the same page after just more than one year together.
"I think you set your ego at the door," Arians told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday when asked what the key to having a good relationship is. "You know, this is a team game. It's not about individual accomplishments."
You'd think that would be the mindset every coach/GM combo would have, given the symbiotic relationship the two have. If the GM gets good players, the coach looks better. And if the coach can get the most out of his players, the GM looks better.
It's really a win/win situation.
"The best thing, and when I came to Arizona for the interview, the thing that struck me most was Steve had a plan," Arians said. "It was the same type of plan, if I were a GM, I would have. So we had the same philosophy.
"It's not about who gets what credit; give him all the credit, he's young and he deserves it. I don't need it."
The Cardinals made 193 roster moves in 2013, and of the 53 players who finished the season on the active roster, 28 were not with the team the season before.
The team won 10 games -- double the previous season's total -- and you could point to both coaching and personnel moves as reason for the improvement.
It's a team effort, really.
"Everything we do is a Cardinal decision," Arians said. "Michael Bidwill is fantastic and we have a great three-way conversation about all the decisions that go on in this organization. It's fun to work here."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.