Updated Feb 21, 2014 - 4:42 pm
Report: San Francisco 49ers almost traded coach Jim Harbaugh
According to ProFootballTalk.com, the San Francisco 49ers nearly traded head coach Jim Harbaugh to the Cleveland Browns.
A deal that would have sent multiple draft picks to San Francisco was in place between the teams. But Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers.
The Browns ended up hiring Buffalo Bills' defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, and that's all well and good.
But the story here is the question everyone is probably asking: Why would the 49ers be interested in parting with a head coach who has guided them to three consecutive NFC Championship Games?
Maybe they didn't.
Either way, chances are good the three other NFC West teams wouldn't have cared about the why the deal was made.
After all, would anyone really have a problem with a coach who has accumulated a 36-11-1 record over three seasons leaving?
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.