Cardinals GM Keim: Team will platoon at running back
Mendenhall gained 687 yards on 217 carries, while Ellington tallied 652 on 118.
They provided the team with a solid 1-2 punch out of the backfield, which is kind of a necessity in the NFL these days.
After all, while the Cardinals may view Ellington as their number one back, his carries will still be limited.
"I don't know that there are many feature backs in the NFL," GM Steve Keim said from the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis Thursday. "Most teams use a platoon of backs, and that would probably be no different for us."
Last season that platoon was mainly with Mendenhall, but he's heading into free agency and may not be brought back. Stepfan Taylor, whom the Cardinals selected in the fifth round of the 2013 draft out of Stanford, may be next in line.
But whether it's Mendenhall, Taylor or someone else sharing the load with Ellington, the point is there won't be a "featured back" in Arizona, even if Ellington can add a bit of weight like the team hopes.
"Andre, the way he's built -- just his body type -- is more in line with guys like Chris Johnson, guys like Jamaal Charles," he said. "His speed and acceleration, his movement skills -- that's his strength. But to say that you're going to play him 25 to 30 snaps, pounding the ball between the tackles, you're probably leaving yourself open for some injury."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Despite interest from Cardinals, linebacker James Harrison retires
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.