Tony Dungy: Arizona Cardinals are 'very close'
A guest of Doug and Wolf's on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday, former NFL coach and current NBC analyst Tony Dungy had good things to say about the team.
"They're very close," he said. "And you saw that in the game they went up there and won in Seattle. They have the formula, they know how to play Seattle and San Francisco."
The Cardinals went just 1-3 against those two teams last season, but were competitive enough in the losses to make you think the gap between them is not particularly wide.
"They've got a great defense; they're fast and aggressive, just like Seattle is," Dungy added. "They're very, very close.
"It reminds me of when I was in Tampa early on and Green Bay was the cream of the NFL, and we played Green Bay a couple of close games and our guys knew that they were getting close and it was just a matter of continuing to build and not long after that, Tampa was hoisting the Super Bowl trophy. So I think you're going to see the same thing."
Of course, Dungy was not in Tampa when the Buccaneers finally broke through to win the Super Bowl in 2003, as he had already been replaced by Jon Gruden. However, Dungy did win eventually win a championship a few years later when he coached the Indianapolis Colts to a Super Bowl XLI victory.
Out of coaching since 2008, he believes the Cardinals have a good leader in Bruce Arians.
"I love Coach Arians and the way he has kind of built this team," Dungy said. "So it's going to be really, really fun to watch them next year compete in this division that's probably the toughest in football."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest-paid CB
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.