Arizona Cardinals face one of the NFL's toughest 2014 schedules
By strength of schedule, the Arizona Cardinals have the eighth-most difficult set of opponents in 2014, with the 13 different teams combining for a .547 winning percentage in 2013.
Arizona's NFC West rivals are all facing more difficult slates, with the St. Louis Rams having the second-toughest schedule in the NFL.
Of course, a large chunk of the scheduling difficulty comes courtesy of those division rivals, which was unavoidable for Arizona. The team will have six games against the Seahawks, 49ers and Rams, who combined to go 32-16 with two NFC Championship Game appearances and one Super Bowl title last year.
Breaking down the schedule even more, the Cardinals will deal with the third-toughest home slate in the NFL, as the University of Phoenix Stadium visitors have a .563 winning percentage. The Cards will get a small reprieve away from home, though, as their opponents on the road have just a .531 winning percentage, good enough for ninth-best in the NFL.
What does all this mean? Well, no one really knows who is going to be good on a year-to-year basis, so odds are some of the games that appear to be the most challenging now will not be once they are actually played (see Falcons and Texans last season). But, if the Cardinals are to have another successful season, chances are they are going to earn it.
And for what it's worth, the Cards had the seventh-toughest schedule going into last season, and things turned out OK.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?