Updated Feb 1, 2014 - 5:50 pm
Former Arizona Cardinals cornerback Aeneas Williams elected to NFL Hall of Fame
Cornerback Aeneas Williams was elected to the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio on Saturday -- making him the first player drafted by the Arizona Cardinals to be elected.
"All of us at the Cardinals are ecstatic for Aeneas who is a true Hall of Famer in every sense of the word," Cardinals president Michael Bidwill said. "His play on the field made him one of the NFL's all-time great players but his integrity and character were just as exceptional. Aeneas, Tracy and their family have been an integral part of the Cardinals family and I can't think of a better person to become the first from the team's Arizona era to be enshrined in Canton."
Selected in the third round out of Southern University 1991, Williams played the first 10 years of his 14-year career in Arizona. Joining Williams in the 2014 class are Michael Strahan, Walter Jones, Derrick Brooks, Andre Reed, Ray Guy and Claude Humphrey.
Williams made the Pro Bowl eight times and was named First-Team All-Pro three times. He finished his career with 677 tackles, 55 interceptions and 23 fumble recoveries while playing in 211 games -- including 180 consecutive starts between 1991 and 2002.
He scored 12 touchdowns -- nine on interceptions and three on fumble recoveries -- and was generally considered to be one of the best cornerbacks of his generation.
Williams became the 13th playere inducted into the Cardinals Ring of Honor in 2008,
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.