Updated Feb 1, 2014 - 5:50 pm
Former Arizona Cardinals cornerback Aeneas Williams elected to NFL Hall of Fame
Cornerback Aeneas Williams was elected to the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio on Saturday -- making him the first player drafted by the Arizona Cardinals to be elected.
"All of us at the Cardinals are ecstatic for Aeneas who is a true Hall of Famer in every sense of the word," Cardinals president Michael Bidwill said. "His play on the field made him one of the NFL's all-time great players but his integrity and character were just as exceptional. Aeneas, Tracy and their family have been an integral part of the Cardinals family and I can't think of a better person to become the first from the team's Arizona era to be enshrined in Canton."
Selected in the third round out of Southern University 1991, Williams played the first 10 years of his 14-year career in Arizona. Joining Williams in the 2014 class are Michael Strahan, Walter Jones, Derrick Brooks, Andre Reed, Ray Guy and Claude Humphrey.
Williams made the Pro Bowl eight times and was named First-Team All-Pro three times. He finished his career with 677 tackles, 55 interceptions and 23 fumble recoveries while playing in 211 games -- including 180 consecutive starts between 1991 and 2002.
He scored 12 touchdowns -- nine on interceptions and three on fumble recoveries -- and was generally considered to be one of the best cornerbacks of his generation.
Williams became the 13th playere inducted into the Cardinals Ring of Honor in 2008,
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?