Player agent Leigh Steinberg talks about negotiating with Arizona Cardinals
In fact, pretty much from the time they moved to the state in 1988 until at least the time when University of Phoenix Stadium was constructed the Bidwills -- who owned the team -- were generally considered to be a tad bit frugal.
A guest of the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday from Radio Row in New York, super agent Leigh Steinberg said that wasn't always the case.
"Two approaches," he said of how the Bidwills ran things. "When they were in St. Louis, they were notoriously frugal, and when they came to Arizona, they changed.
"They realized that the whole concept of being in a small market was different."
Steinberg talked about the "very successful negotiations" he had with the Cardinals involving quarterbacks Neil Lomax and Jake Plummer as examples of how money wasn't always a sticking point.
The 64-year-old who is credited as the real life inspiration for the movie "Jerry Maguire" went on to tell a story about how he learned not to call out owners in public like he did once when negotiating a contract for Cardinals second-round pick Theodis Brown in 1979.
That experience helped shape how he approaches owners nowadays.
"So when I had Leonard Davis or Jake (Plummer) or Neil Lomax, I stayed inside the system," Steinberg said. "They changed because their economics changed. They changed because of a new stadium. They changed because they're in one of the biggest thriving markets going."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!