Updated Jan 28, 2014 - 4:36 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Bruce Arians: We know what we need to do
This year, the Cardinals head coach is making the rounds at the TPC Scottsdale leading up to the 2014 Waste Management Phoenix Open.
Arians was among the headliners at the CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open Tuesday.
"This is a fantastic day," he said of the putting challenge that matched up a Special Olympian with a celebrity or sports star and local business leader. "It's so special to be with these kids because they work so hard at their craft; had to win a lot of tournament to get into this. You respect all their work they put in. They work as hard as the Arizona Cardinals, I promise you."
Speaking of his day job, Arians is well into an offseason that has him and his staff re-examining 2013 and looking ahead to 2014.
"Just continue to see our team improve in all phases fundamentally and add new pieces, which is new every year," he said of his offseason goals. "Watch them gain cohesiveness and just watch us improve because I think our guys are coming back with a great taste in their mouth."
The Cardinals ended the season winning seven of nine, but missed out on the playoffs despite a 10-6 record, which doubled their win total from 2012.
"We finished strong," Arians said. "We know what we need to do. It's just which pieces do we add and how we fit them in."
Both the Cardinals' offense and defense showed dramatic improvement over last season. The offense ranked 12th compared to 32nd a year ago, while the defense was the sixth-best in the league (up 15 spots from 2012) and number-one against the run, allowing only 84.4 yards per game.
The latter statistics earned defensive coordinator Todd Bowles head coaching interviews with the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings. He was not hired by either team.
"Glad of it," Arians said with a smile. "Wish he had gotten a head coaching job, but I'm really happy he's still here."
At least for the immediate future, football has been put on the back burner.
Arians is scheduled to return to the TPC course Wednesday to participate in the Annexus Pro-Am; however, he's unsure about his golf game at the moment.
"Not like I'd like to have it right now. I've got a sore back from practicing," Arians said laughing.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b