ESPN's Kiper downgrades Arizona Cardinals' 2013 draft class
In fact, ProFootballFocus.com rated Arizona's haul as the most productive of any team's last season, highlighting the seasons put forth by Tyrann Mathieu and Andre Ellington.
But not everyone is as bullish about what the Cardinals accomplished last season with regards to their eight selections.
ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., who gave the Cardinals a solid B after the draft, downgraded them in his "Regrading the 2013 NFL draft" piece.
An ESPN Insider piece, Kiper is now giving the Cardinals a B-.
Summary: If not for Mathieu, this class would take a big step back, but there's still a lot of promise, and health played a big role when it comes to early impact. Losing Cooper for the season before he got a chance to show what he was capable of was a big blow early, but he projects to start in 2014 and provide a big upgrade at guard. Minter wasn't as needed as we thought he'd be because Karlos Dansby played so well, but he didn't really play at all. Ellington showed he can be a big part of the offense, not only rushing for 652 yards but also catching 39 passes, and qualifies as a big steal. Mathieu was a stud, and the hope is he can come back from his knee injury and pick up where he left off. The grade slides a notch just because of the questions going forward, but the team took a big step forward, and rookies played a role.
The only NFC West team not to get downgraded by Kiper was the San Francisco 49ers, as they maintained their B grade.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.