Updated Jan 15, 2014 - 2:23 pm
Looks like the Arizona Cardinals will keep Todd Bowles
Bowles spoke with the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings about their vacancies, and was supposedly a finalist for the Minnesota job.
Tuesday, Bowles told the Cleveland Browns to remove him from consideration, and Wednesday the Vikings tabbed Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer to be their coach.
The Cardinals may have dodged a bullet.
Vikings told Todd Bowles if they didn't hire Zimmer, he was their guy.— Josh Weinfuss (@joshweinfuss) January 15, 2014
So, it looks like Bowles will be back in Arizona for a second season.
It's not the worst thing that could happen for either party, as Bowles will have another year to prove his mettle and the Cardinals will benefit from having him still leading the defense.
Last year, Bowles' first with the Cardinals, he helped the team lead the NFL in rushing defense and finish sixth overall. Arizona finished tied for sixth in the league with 47 sacks and their 30 turnovers tied for sixth.
Producing another season like the one they just had would likely lead to more head coaching interviews for Bowles next offseason, with the good chance that he would end up landing one of the jobs.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.