Updated Jan 15, 2014 - 2:23 pm
Looks like the Arizona Cardinals will keep Todd Bowles
Bowles spoke with the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings about their vacancies, and was supposedly a finalist for the Minnesota job.
Tuesday, Bowles told the Cleveland Browns to remove him from consideration, and Wednesday the Vikings tabbed Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer to be their coach.
The Cardinals may have dodged a bullet.
Vikings told Todd Bowles if they didn't hire Zimmer, he was their guy.— Josh Weinfuss (@joshweinfuss) January 15, 2014
So, it looks like Bowles will be back in Arizona for a second season.
It's not the worst thing that could happen for either party, as Bowles will have another year to prove his mettle and the Cardinals will benefit from having him still leading the defense.
Last year, Bowles' first with the Cardinals, he helped the team lead the NFL in rushing defense and finish sixth overall. Arizona finished tied for sixth in the league with 47 sacks and their 30 turnovers tied for sixth.
Producing another season like the one they just had would likely lead to more head coaching interviews for Bowles next offseason, with the good chance that he would end up landing one of the jobs.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals RB Zach Bauman excited for 'opportunity to show what I can do' Thursday vs. Chargers
- Confident Chandler Catanzaro looks to prove himself as Arizona Cardinals kicker
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd named to Sports Illustrated's All-Breakout Team
- Panel ranks Arizona Cardinals' Bruce Arians as the NFL's 13th-best head coach
- The Pulse: Most fans not very concerned with the Arizona Cardinals' preseason loss to the Cincinnati Bengals
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Monday August 25Bruce Arians says Jay Feely was let go early on so he can catch on with another team.