ESPN's Clayton says it's '50-50' if Todd Bowles will be back in Arizona next season
It's been a couple weeks since his team's season ended, and Bowles has interviewed with the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings, the latter of which he's reportedly a finalist for.
Neither team has filled its vacancy yet, and as a guest of Doug and Wolf's Friday, ESPN NFL insider John Clayton said it's "50-50" whether Bowles will be back in Arizona.
"It's also a situation where he's now in for two or three jobs, but he may not like them," Clayton said. "I don't know what he feels about Cleveland, I don't know what he feels about Minnesota and I think he's going to get interviewed in Tennessee."
Bowles has been an oft-mentioned name this offseason after he guided the Cardinals' defense to number six overall ranking, including number one against the run. He does have some previous head coaching experience, having led the Miami Dolphins to a 2-1 record during an interim stint in 2011.
"Is he qualified for a head coaching job," Clayton asked. "Absolutely, but he may be selective about this. If you get a head coaching job, you want to make sure it's the right one."
Clayton added that Bowles is in a good spot either way, because if he does not get a head coaching job this offseason, he may very well land one a year from now.
"I still say it's 50-50," he said, noting that both the Titans and Vikings may prefer other coaches, anyway. "Cleveland is just hard to figure out. If offered the Cleveland job, I don't know if he necessarily would take it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.