Report: Arizona Cardinals assistant Freddie Kitchens a candidate for Alabama OC job
Not only did Nick Saban's winning machine lose the annual Iron Bowl to in-state rival Auburn in heartbreaking fashion, they lost the Sugar Bowl to Oklahoma last week which served as the catalyst for a shakeup.
Saban encouraged offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier to look around for a new job, and he got one quickly. Wednesday, Nussmeier took the OC job at Michigan.
That leaves a void on Saban's coaching staff, one that could be filled by a member of the Arizona Cardinals' staff.
Cardinals quarterback coach Freddie Kitchens is a former Alabama QB himself, and according to AL.com, could be a target for Saban, who reportedly had inquired about Kitchens during previous coordinator searches.
Kitchens, who was a graduate assistant under Saban at LSU in 2000, has coached in the SEC before, spending two years at Mississippi State as a tight ends (2005) and running backs (2004) coach. He was the running backs coach at North Texas from 2001-2003.
There are also reports circulating that former USC head coach Lane Kiffin will interview for the Alabama OC job Thursday.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.