Jay Feely: 'There's no excuse' for missed field goals
The Arizona Cardinals' kicker missed a pair of field goals, from 37 yards out in the first quarter and 43 yards in the fourth, while his team lost its season finale to the San Francisco 49ers by a score of 23-20.
When asked what he said to his kicker, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians responded, "Nothing."
The fact that Feely made good on two other kicks, a 49-yarder early in the fourth quarter and a game-tying 43-yard kick with 29 seconds remaining in the game, didn't seem to matter much when the game was over.
"No, I just have to make those kicks," Feely said when asked about his two misses. "There's no excuse. No reason not to."
A total of three field goals were missed Sunday (two by Feely, one by San Francisco's Phil Dawson), and it's interesting to note that all three were attempted in the southern end of the stadium. With new sod in place ahead of Wednesday's Fiesta Bowl, it's possible there was something not quite right about that part of the field.
"That was me," Dawson said of his miss. "That was a good old-fashioned miss."
Dawson credited Arizona's field goal rush unit, saying it puts a lot of pressure on a kicker.
"If anything goes wrong, including a bad kick, it's exaggerated," he added.
Still, Dawson had made 27 consecutive field goals before his second quarter miss from 24-yards out, and Feely had made six straight -- including the game-winner in Tennessee just two weeks ago -- before Sunday's game.
This was two of the more reliable kickers in the game struggling to convert very makeable attempts.
"I missed them both right," Feely said. "You've got to finish. Anything I told you, it doesn't matter. You've just got to make those kicks. You've got to come through for your team. It hurts when you don't."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.