Arizona Cardinals understand reality that this could be it for their season
However, that does not mean they are unaware of the possibility that they have held their last Friday practice of the season and could be in the mist of their season's final days.
"I've been in a bunch of these, where the last one counts and you don't know what's going to happen on Sunday with the other teams," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said. "But this team has a chance to make history and that's all we talked about all week, is the possibility of tying the franchise record for wins and let the rest of the chips fall where they may."
The Cardinals' path to the postseason is rather simple, if unlikely. A Cardinals win along with a New Orleans Saints loss or tie to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will get Arizona in, just as a Saints loss along with a Cardinals tie.
A Cardinals loss or a Saints win, though, would mean the season ends Sunday.
"It's strange, man," rookie running back Andre Ellington said. "It's been a long season and you know, just to come to an end is not something you want to do right now. You obviously want to make it to the playoffs.
"We've just got to handle business on Sunday and see where it goes from there."
At the very least, the Cardinals are in a position to where their final regular season game could be for something, which has not been the case the last few seasons.
"It's fun to have the last one count," Arians said. "That's what we wanted all year, for this game to matter, and it matters."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.