Three Arizona Cardinals named Pro Bowlers
Linebacker John Abraham, cornerback Patrick Peterson and special teams ace Justin Bethel will all be participating in the annual Pro Bowl January 26 in Honolulu.
Peterson is making his third Pro Bowl appearance in as many years in the league, and his second as a cornerback. The former LSU star has 40 total tackles, three interceptions and 16 passes defended.
Abraham, who signed with the Cardinals back in July, has 35 tackles and 11.5 sacks on the season, including three multi-sack performances. For the 14-year pro, it will be his fifth appearance in the Pro Bowl.
Bethel, a second-year pro out of Presbyterian, is making his first Pro Bowl appearance. The 23-year-old has excelled in special teams, primarily as a gunner on punt coverage.
All three players are eligible for the Pro Bowl draft, a new format for the NFL's version of the All-Star Game. Instead of their being squads comprised of NFC and AFC stars, players will be drafted in a schoolyard-style draft with Hall of Famers Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders serving as captains.
Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, defensive end Calais Campbell, defensive tackle Darnell Dockett and Daryl Washington were named alternates.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.