Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals - Dec. 26
- Bruce Arians said backup QB Drew Stanton went through a full practice but was added to the injury report with a knee issue. John Abraham didn't practice, and will be a game-time decision.
- The coach was asked about the offense's improvement this year from past seasons, and his reason for the change was simple: "Good quarterback."
- Carson Palmer has been praised for his ability to erase and move on from bad plays. It's a weird compliment, to be praised for one's ability to move on from mistakes. But, it's certainly something that has helped the team this year.
- Palmer said it's tough to take satisfaction from the season if they go 11-5 but don't make the playoffs. "It almost seems unfair and unjust, but that's how it is."
- 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh used a total of 15 words to answer the first three questions posed by the media.
Stat of the Day
Carson Palmer has directed 16 fourth-quarter comebacks as a pro, with three of them coming this season.
Quote of the Day
"You don't need any extra motivation to play against the 49ers," receiver Larry Fitzgerald said. "I said it earlier, but if we can only win two games in the whole season, I would pick both of them to be the 49ers. That's the kind of way we have it. They've beaten up on us the last few times and we lost a tough one in Candlestick earlier this season. We have to win this game for us to have a chance to go to the playoffs."
This Day in Arizona Cardinals History
On Dec. 26, 1993, the Cardinals beat the New York Giants 17-6.
The game started off poorly for the Cardinals, as the Giants took a 6-0 lead into the half courtesy of a pair of David Treadwell field goals.
The Cardinals got on the board with a 20-yard Greg Davis Field goal in the third quarter and then took a 10-6 lead on a 19-yard touchdown run from Ronald Moore in the same frame. Moore scored on a one-yard run in the fourth quarter, and that was it for either team.
For Phoenix, Steve Beurlein completed 15-of-24 passes for 198 yards with two interceptions, with Larry Centers accounting for 84 yards on 5 catches. Moore tallied 135 yards and 2 touchdowns on 23 carries.
Defensively, Ken Harvey picked up a pair of sacks while Freddie Joe Nunn earned one.
As for the Giants, Phil Simms completed 21-of-30 passes for 214 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions, and Dave Meggett and Rodney Hampton combined for just 60 yards on 21 carries.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?