Updated Dec 23, 2013 - 5:53 pm
Arians to Cardinals: 'If you're scared, don't get on the plane'
Although the Cardinals are in the playoff race, they hadn't beaten either of the NFC West's top two teams -- Seattle and San Francisco -- since the opening game of the 2012 season, and hadn't beaten either on the road since Oct. 18, 2009.
"Forget the playoffs, forget everything else," Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley and Marotta Monday. "If we ever want to win this division again, we have to match their intensity. They're both physical, bully-type football teams. The only way to handle that is to be the same thing.
"You're either going to kick someone's butt or you're going to get your butt kicked. If you're scared, don't get on the plane."
Consider the message received.
The Cardinals' defense physically abused Seattle en route to a 17-10 win despite four turnovers from Arizona's offense. The Cardinals held Seattle to just 192 total yards while limiting dual-threat quarterback Russell Wilson to 32 yards on two carries and sacking him four times.
Seattle gained just four total yards in the second quarter, didn't gain a single yard on five of their 13 drives and gained less than 10 yards on four others.
"You love winning at home," Arians said. "But to go to Seattle … you go to some of the great venues that are tough on the road and win in that fashion -- it's why you play the game."
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest-paid CB
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.