ProFootballFocus: Cardinals' Andre Ellington excels after contact, Rashard Mendenhall not so much
The former sixth-round pick is second on the team in rushing yards (558) and rushing touchdowns (3), leads the team with seven rushes of 20 yards or more and also has 34 receptions for 351 yards and a touchdown.
But as ProFootballFocus.com detailed in a 'Between the Tackles' piece Thursday, his season might even more impressive than meets the eye.
Despite his somewhat diminutive stature, the 5-foot-9 standout out of Clemson ranks in the top 10 in both yards after contact on inside (2.47 per carry) and outside (league-leading 4.62 per carry) rushes.
Ellington is one of only three players -- Adrian Peterson and Rashad Jennings being the others -- to be in the top 10 of both lists.
However, while Ellington has embraced contact during his first NFL campaign, his teammate and the Cardinals' leading rusher, Rashard Mendenhall, apparently has not.
The first-year Cardinal ranks in the bottom 10 in both yards after contact on inside (1.67 per carry) and outside (1.78 per carry) rushes.
Mendenhall is one of only three players -- Ray Rice and Willis McGahee being the others -- to make both dubious lists.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!