Updated Dec 21, 2013 - 11:30 am
Phoenix Coyotes CEO: Dave Tippett 'a scientist when it comes to the sport'
LeBlanc, who was a guest on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Wednesday, said the team is up somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 percent when it comes to paid attendance year-to-year and incomparable number when it comes to sponsorships.
While things are going very well from a business standpoint, they are also going equally well on the ice.
The Coyotes head into Thursday night's game in Toronto with an 18-10-5 record and remain just four points outside of the second Wild Card spot in the Western Conference. Additionally, the team has made notable improvements in terms of overall scoring (No. 5 in the NHL) and power play percentage (No. 8 in the NHL).
Although LeBlanc admitted he tries to stay out of the way when it comes to the business of hockey, he did suggest that the team's success has plenty to do with their head coach, Dave Tippett.
"I've never seen such a methodical coach in my entire life," LeBlanc said. "I've never seen someone wear losses the way Dave does. For example, the last time I flew back with the team from Vancouver -- we're talking a long flight -- and Dave was up the entire flight, we got in at some like three o'clock, and he was watching game film the entire flight."
In four-plus seasons since taking over as the Coyotes' coach before the 2009-10 campaign, Tippett has compiled a 174-106-58 record and led the team to three playoff appearances, including a trip to the 2012 Western Conference Finals.
When asked how he'd describe his veteran coach, the first-year owner put it rather succinctly.
"He's a scientist when it comes to the sport," said LeBlanc.
"He wears these losses, and last night [in Montreal] is another one that is very frustrating to a guy like Dave."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!