Updated Dec 13, 2013 - 10:53 am
Carson Palmer needs a left tackle for Christmas, ESPN's Jaworski says
The shakiest position on the line has been left tackle. Levi Brown began the season as the starter, but his performance left much to be desired and he was dealt after four games. His departure thrust the imposing, but inexperienced, Bradley Sowell into the starting unit.
In an ESPN Insider article, football analyst Ron Jaworski takes a look at what each quarterback in the NFL is desperately missing on offense.
As I look around the league heading into Week 15, I see some very talented, established quarterbacks who could use some help from those around them. Well, 'tis the season for giving, so Santa Jaws is going to suggest the best present each of these quarterbacks could wish for this offseason.
Jaworski's "holiday gift" to the Cardinals -- and to Carson Palmer, specifically -- is a left tackle. He says the position has been troublesome for the Cardinals "for years."
The ESPN writer says Sowell is "doing a decent job," but that the team has committed a lot of resources to helping him out, often deploying tight ends or running backs as reinforcements on passing plays.
When you need to commit another player to help out, that limits the offense. And protection is especially important for Palmer, who likes to get to the launch point and stay there because he doesn't move that well.
The Cardinals obviously won't have a savior step in at the position before the season ends, but if they commit to Palmer going forward, they might want to focus on strengthening their pass protection in the offseason.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.