Updated Dec 13, 2013 - 10:53 am
Carson Palmer needs a left tackle for Christmas, ESPN's Jaworski says
The shakiest position on the line has been left tackle. Levi Brown began the season as the starter, but his performance left much to be desired and he was dealt after four games. His departure thrust the imposing, but inexperienced, Bradley Sowell into the starting unit.
In an ESPN Insider article, football analyst Ron Jaworski takes a look at what each quarterback in the NFL is desperately missing on offense.
As I look around the league heading into Week 15, I see some very talented, established quarterbacks who could use some help from those around them. Well, 'tis the season for giving, so Santa Jaws is going to suggest the best present each of these quarterbacks could wish for this offseason.
Jaworski's "holiday gift" to the Cardinals -- and to Carson Palmer, specifically -- is a left tackle. He says the position has been troublesome for the Cardinals "for years."
The ESPN writer says Sowell is "doing a decent job," but that the team has committed a lot of resources to helping him out, often deploying tight ends or running backs as reinforcements on passing plays.
When you need to commit another player to help out, that limits the offense. And protection is especially important for Palmer, who likes to get to the launch point and stay there because he doesn't move that well.
The Cardinals obviously won't have a savior step in at the position before the season ends, but if they commit to Palmer going forward, they might want to focus on strengthening their pass protection in the offseason.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.