NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
Seven months later, there are new buzz words being echoed in reference to the former LSU standout.
NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.
Although he doesn't have a final say in the matter, NFL.com writer Chris Wesseling believes heading into the final month of the regular season, the Cardinals safety has earned the right to be the leading candidate for the top honor awarded to defensive rookies.
In 12 games, Mathieu is second on the team in total tackles with 67 and also has two interceptions, five tackles for a loss and a forced fumble. But its his versatility and ability to play on all three downs that has impressed Wesseling most in the 2013.
What's amazing about Mathieu is that he's already one of the NFL's most versatile and well-rounded defensive backs, playing safety in base packages and switching to cornerback in nickel and dime packages. I haven't seen a single cornerback who can match the third-round rookie in run support or blitzing.
Mathieu has also shown a knack for big plays, punching the ball out of Jared Cook's hands on a would-be long touchdown and tackling Nate Burleson short of the sticks on a potential game-winning drive. The Honey Badger is a key chess piece in Todd Bowles' defense, which rivals Seattle's for the No. 1 spot in Football Outsiders metrics.
The last Cardinal to win Rookie of the Year honors was Simeon Rice back in 1996.
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.