Arizona Cardinals coach says Andre Ellington is 'a game-time decision' for Philadelphia
Coach Bruce Arians said the rookie "tweaked" his left knee near the end of practice Thursday and is a "game-time decision" after missing practice Friday.
Arians said Ellington's injury isn't serious, but "we want to be careful with him."
Ellington said he hurt the knee when he turned to make a cut toward the end of Thursday's practice, but noted he feels better Friday than he did the day before.
"I'm good to go," he said.
Granted, that kind of goes against what Arians said, but Ellington is banking on the next couple of days giving him enough time to heal.
"That's a lot of rest, two days," he said. "I'm going to continue to rehab and get to Sunday and kind of get out there and run around a little bit."
A sixth-round pick out of Clemson last April, Ellington has emerged as one of the team's most dynamic playmakers. A running back, he has gained 441 yards on just 73 carries and caught 28 passes for 247 yards. He's scored three total touchdowns.
Should Ellington miss the game, Rashard Mendenhall and Stepfan Taylor would figure to pick up the slack, with Alfonso Smith also being in the mix for some additional work.
"Just one guy out," Arians said of the blow that would be not having Ellington. "There's still a bunch of guys who are capable of taking his place, and we'll make our adjustments that we need to make."
The coach, though, admitted there are about five or six plays that would have to be removed from the game plan if Ellington is unable to go because no one else on the team can do them.
"Other than that, just keep on rolling."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!