Cardinals' Mathieu No. 7 on Mel Kiper Jr.'s Top Rookie list
The parameters used to make his determinations, as he explains in the article, are manifold: they reflect a player's season-long body of work, positional value comes into play, playing time -- and the strength of a particular player's team -- factors in.
With that in place, Kiper began his list with Kiko Adams, a Buffalo Bills' linebacker out of Oregon, who is the NFL's second-leading tackler.
Arizona Cardinals rookie safety, former LSU Tiger Tyrann Mathieu, took Kiper's No. 7 spot in the rankings, thanks, in part, to his consistent play and tackling count, which the evaluator notes is second on the team.
The ironic thing about Mathieu's season isn't so much his ability to make plays all over the field, it's that for a guy who was considered a potential boom or bust player, he has been extremely consistent week to week. Every Monday I go back through the games, and he's as steady a player as the Cardinals have had, and that's no exaggeration. Only Karlos Dansby has more tackles, and Mathieu's versatility keeps him on the field for every play.
Mathieu was the second rookie safety on Kiper's list, with New Orleans Saints safety Kenny Vaccaro, a Texas product, ranking No. 4. Another rookie safety out of LSU, Eric Reid of the San Francisco 49ers, also made Kiper's top 10.
Among the other players who ranked higher than Mathieu on the list (besides Alonso and Vaccaro) were: DT Sheldon Richardson (New York Jets; No. 2), DT Star Lotulelei (Carolina Panthers; No. 3), RB Giavani Bernard (Cincinnati Bengals; No. 5) and TE Jordan Reed (Washington Redskins; No. 6).
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?