Cardinals legend Aeneas Williams still awaiting a trip to Hall of Fame
The hosts of NFL Network's "Pro Football Hall of Fame: The First Cut" speculated that the former Cardinals cornerback will have to wait a few more years before getting called to the Hall of Fame.
Williams fell under the show's "not for the foreseeable future" category, but host Elliot Harrison had positive things to say about the Cardinals legend.
I once heard Troy Aikman say Williams was the best corner he ever played against. Considering Aikman also faced Darrell Green and Deion Sanders, that's enough for me. With the dearth of premiere corners, 2017 or '18 sounds about right for Williams.
On the program, only defensive end Michael Strahan, linebacker Derrick Brooks and tackle Walter Jones were considered locks for the 2014 class.
Williams never missed a game and he started every contest except one for Arizona from 1991-2000. In 10 seasons with the Cardinals and four with the St. Louis Rams, the 5-foot-11 cornerback compiled 55 interceptions (20th most in NFL history), returning nine of them for touchdowns. He made the Pro Bowl six times as a Cardinal and twice as a Ram. He was also a First-Team All-Pro three times in his career.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.