Ex-Texan Reed lashes out at team, Phillips
OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) - Ed Reed insists Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is doing a poor job, and the safety was released by the team earlier this month because Reed spoke up about it.
Now with the New York Jets, Reed said in a conference call with the Baltimore media on Wednesday that the Houston defense "is not a good fit for a lot of people who are still down there."
Reed was waived by the Texans in the wake of a loss to Arizona on Nov. 10. After the game, he said, "Certain situations we just got outplayed and outcoached."
On Wednesday, Reed said, "The truth is the truth. You've got to put your players in a position to make plays."
Asked if he talked to Phillips, Reed said, "(He) basically just made sure I was leaving. Honestly, of all people, he's probably the guy, the reason I'm not there."
The Texans said Phillips was not available Wednesday for comment, but would be available to speak on Thursday.
Reed spent his entire career with the Ravens before signing as a free agent with Houston during the offseason. This will be his second game this season in Baltimore.
Houston wide receiver Andre Johnson, who also played with Reed at Miami, said, "People feel certain ways. Maybe that's how he felt when he was here. Other than that, I really can't speak on it. That's Ed's feelings."
AP NFL website: http://www.pro32.ap.org
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Cardinals LB Daryl Washington sentenced to probation
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?