Ex-Texan Reed lashes out at team, Phillips
OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) - Ed Reed insists Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is doing a poor job, and the safety was released by the team earlier this month because Reed spoke up about it.
Now with the New York Jets, Reed said in a conference call with the Baltimore media on Wednesday that the Houston defense "is not a good fit for a lot of people who are still down there."
Reed was waived by the Texans in the wake of a loss to Arizona on Nov. 10. After the game, he said, "Certain situations we just got outplayed and outcoached."
On Wednesday, Reed said, "The truth is the truth. You've got to put your players in a position to make plays."
Asked if he talked to Phillips, Reed said, "(He) basically just made sure I was leaving. Honestly, of all people, he's probably the guy, the reason I'm not there."
The Texans said Phillips was not available Wednesday for comment, but would be available to speak on Thursday.
Reed spent his entire career with the Ravens before signing as a free agent with Houston during the offseason. This will be his second game this season in Baltimore.
Houston wide receiver Andre Johnson, who also played with Reed at Miami, said, "People feel certain ways. Maybe that's how he felt when he was here. Other than that, I really can't speak on it. That's Ed's feelings."
AP NFL website: http://www.pro32.ap.org
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.