Ex-Texan Reed lashes out at team, Phillips
OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) - Ed Reed insists Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is doing a poor job, and the safety was released by the team earlier this month because Reed spoke up about it.
Now with the New York Jets, Reed said in a conference call with the Baltimore media on Wednesday that the Houston defense "is not a good fit for a lot of people who are still down there."
Reed was waived by the Texans in the wake of a loss to Arizona on Nov. 10. After the game, he said, "Certain situations we just got outplayed and outcoached."
On Wednesday, Reed said, "The truth is the truth. You've got to put your players in a position to make plays."
Asked if he talked to Phillips, Reed said, "(He) basically just made sure I was leaving. Honestly, of all people, he's probably the guy, the reason I'm not there."
The Texans said Phillips was not available Wednesday for comment, but would be available to speak on Thursday.
Reed spent his entire career with the Ravens before signing as a free agent with Houston during the offseason. This will be his second game this season in Baltimore.
Houston wide receiver Andre Johnson, who also played with Reed at Miami, said, "People feel certain ways. Maybe that's how he felt when he was here. Other than that, I really can't speak on it. That's Ed's feelings."
AP NFL website: http://www.pro32.ap.org
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!