Arizona Cardinals' Bruce Arians: Patrick Peterson's struggles on punts could lead to change
In Peterson's rookie year, he returned 44 punts for 699 yards and four touchdowns, earning him first-team All-Pro honors. However, he has seen his production decline in the last two seasons, and had some serious issues on punts Sunday in a win over the Jacksonville Jaguars, highlighted by a muffed punt.
"He had two poor decisions," head coach Bruce Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta Monday.
"He needed to make better decisions back there and we're going to talk a little bit about how we're returning the football and improving the area."
This season, Peterson has has returned 24 punts for 161 yards, which ranks 17th in the NFL. His 6.7 yards per return places him 20th out of the 23 eligible players.
While Peterson still possesses elite playmaking ability, with the value he provides at corner and his recent struggles, it might make sense to turn to another player with return experience. Arians said they will explore their options.
"Tyrann (Mathieu)'s done it, but he's playing some 60 plays a game too right now," the coach added. "Javier (Arenas) has done it. We have a number of returners we could possibly put back there."
However, Arians made it clear Peterson is their first choice if the third-year pro can return to form.
"We'd like to straighten it out with Pat because he can hit the home run."
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.