Arizona Cardinals ready to stop Jaguars' Jones-Drew
Though Jones-Drew's stats are down this year, likely at least in part due to the overall struggles of those around him, the Cardinals recognize he's the key to stopping their offense.
"Maurice Jones-Drew has been doing a good job for them," said defensive tackle Dan Williams. "They're a pretty good offense once they get the running game going."
This season, Jones-Drew is averaging just 3.0 yards per carry, well below his career average of 4.5. Still, linebacker Daryl Washington praised Jones-Drew's ability, and agreed with his teammate they'll need to stop the run to win.
"We know what type of running back he's been and he still is," Washington said. "Get guys to the ball, stop the run, make them one-dimensional, and the game is ours."
Jones-Drew, who's listed at five-foot-seven and 210 pounds, is known for his ability to break tackles. Arizona head coach Bruce Arians said his defense has to be prepared to bring the running back down.
"I know this, that Maurice Jones-Drew has embarrassed a lot of teams over the years and a lot of players," Arians explained. "You don't want to get on that highlight film when he trucks you and runs over you, so you better bring your big-boy pants when you play against Jacksonville."
With the Cardinals ranked third in the league at 86.9 rushing yards allowed per game, it appears the team is at an advantage. According to Williams, the only issue could be a lack of discipline, which he said Jones-Drew would be quick to take advantage of.
"As long as everybody does their job, we should be okay," Williams added.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.