Andre Ellington leads surging Arizona Cardinals running game
Over their last two games -- both wins -- the Cards have rushed for 298 yards on 59 attempts. The yardage total accounts for 35 percent of the team's entire rushing output this season, and has added a level of balance to an offense that desperately needed it.
"We're just executing," running back Andre Ellington said Monday. "We're just taking what we do in practice every day and getting better. Everyone's on the same page. The offensive linemen are doing a great job and the backs are, too. And the receivers are as well, getting great blocks on the outside."
Ellington, along with Rashard Mendenhall and Stepfan Taylor, have received the bulk of the carries.
Without the threat of the run, defenses could tee off on quarterback Carson Palmer. Now, they can't.
"It helps out a lot," Ellington said. "It frees up those defensive linemen from taking shots at him and gives him an opportunity to throw the ball down field."
Ellington said the goal has always been to establish that balance, and head coach Bruce Arians noted that it has helped Palmer produce.
"That's probably the biggest thing that helped him be comfortable," he said.
It's probably no coincidence that the running game has improved since Ellington's role increased, as the sixth-round pick out of Clemson has gained 209 yards and a touchdown on 26 carries over the last two games.
"It just comes in practice," Ellington said of the increased role. "I bust my butt every day trying to get better. I feel like when I get to the game, it's just me out there in the zone and I'm having fun. I feel like all the hard work comes during the week, so once the game comes it's all easy."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.