Cards' Palmer on bye week: 'I learned a lot'
"It was great for the entire team to get off their feet for a little while," Palmer told media gathered at Cardinals' practice in Tempe on Wednesday.
Although the Cardinals stand at 4-4 and have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs this season, their new quarterback hasn't fared as well as fans may have hoped, throwing 14 interceptions through the first half -- the same amount he threw in 15 games with the Oakland Raiders last season. And the bye week, as Cardinals' personnel have made platitudinous, couldn't have come at a better time for Palmer and teammates.
"It just kind of gives you a chance to recharge," said Palmer, "and it gave me a really good chance to go back and look at what we were doing.
"I've always used bye week as a chance to self-scout."
For the 33-year-old signal caller, such introspection may have been unpleasant, given his poor decision making thus far. Palmer's 14 interceptions are the second most in the NFL, behind only the New York Giants' Eli Manning, while 17 other league quarterbacks have thrown more touchdowns than his 10.
Palmer's total quarterback rating (QBR) meanwhile, as determined by ESPN Stats & Info, ranks 31st among 34 qualified NFL quarterbacks, with only the New York Jets' Geno Smith, the Jacksonville Jaguars' Chad Henne and the Cleveland Browns' Brandon Weeden ranking worse in the measure.
"You know, you try to figure out any tendencies you can find in yourself and get ready for the second half of the season," Palmer went on.
Hopefully, for both his sake and that of the Cardinals, the 10-year veteran was able to pinpoint his problem areas and assess the issues with his decision making.
Palmer, himself, believes that he was able to do just that.
"I learned a lot."
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.