Gary Kubiak will not coach Houston Texans against Arizona Cardinals
Kubiak suffered what has been called a "mini-stroke" at halftime of the team's game against the Indianapolis Colts.
Kubiak, who collapsed to the ground, was taken off the field on a stretcher and brought to a Houston-area hospital, where tests were run and a diagnosis was made. The coach was released from the hospital Tuesday, but is not ready to return to work.
Wade Phillips, the team's defensive coordinator, will assume the role of head coach on an interim basis for the Texans. The 66-year-old has been an NFL head coach before, compiling an 82-61 record during stints with the Buffalo Bills and Dallas Cowboys.
"It affects the game," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday, before he knew Kubiak was ruled out and Phillips was taking over. "Any time you have a disruption like that it affects your football team."
Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, who took over Kubiak's play-calling duties Sunday, will likely keep the role against the Cardinals.
Kubiak has been the Texans' head coach since 2006, and has guided the team to a 61-58 record. The team made the playoffs each of the last two seasons, and was a favorite to reach the Super Bowl this season before injuries and ineffective quarterback play derailed those hopes.
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?