Gary Kubiak will not coach Houston Texans against Arizona Cardinals
Kubiak suffered what has been called a "mini-stroke" at halftime of the team's game against the Indianapolis Colts.
Kubiak, who collapsed to the ground, was taken off the field on a stretcher and brought to a Houston-area hospital, where tests were run and a diagnosis was made. The coach was released from the hospital Tuesday, but is not ready to return to work.
Wade Phillips, the team's defensive coordinator, will assume the role of head coach on an interim basis for the Texans. The 66-year-old has been an NFL head coach before, compiling an 82-61 record during stints with the Buffalo Bills and Dallas Cowboys.
"It affects the game," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday, before he knew Kubiak was ruled out and Phillips was taking over. "Any time you have a disruption like that it affects your football team."
Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, who took over Kubiak's play-calling duties Sunday, will likely keep the role against the Cardinals.
Kubiak has been the Texans' head coach since 2006, and has guided the team to a 61-58 record. The team made the playoffs each of the last two seasons, and was a favorite to reach the Super Bowl this season before injuries and ineffective quarterback play derailed those hopes.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.