Gary Kubiak will not coach Houston Texans against Arizona Cardinals
Kubiak suffered what has been called a "mini-stroke" at halftime of the team's game against the Indianapolis Colts.
Kubiak, who collapsed to the ground, was taken off the field on a stretcher and brought to a Houston-area hospital, where tests were run and a diagnosis was made. The coach was released from the hospital Tuesday, but is not ready to return to work.
Wade Phillips, the team's defensive coordinator, will assume the role of head coach on an interim basis for the Texans. The 66-year-old has been an NFL head coach before, compiling an 82-61 record during stints with the Buffalo Bills and Dallas Cowboys.
"It affects the game," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday, before he knew Kubiak was ruled out and Phillips was taking over. "Any time you have a disruption like that it affects your football team."
Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, who took over Kubiak's play-calling duties Sunday, will likely keep the role against the Cardinals.
Kubiak has been the Texans' head coach since 2006, and has guided the team to a 61-58 record. The team made the playoffs each of the last two seasons, and was a favorite to reach the Super Bowl this season before injuries and ineffective quarterback play derailed those hopes.
- Arizona Cardinals sign DT Tommy Kelly
- Report: Arizona Cardinals bring James Harrison in for a visit
- Arizona Cardinals RB Zach Bauman excited for 'opportunity to show what I can do' Thursday vs. Chargers
- Confident Chandler Catanzaro looks to prove himself as Arizona Cardinals kicker
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd named to Sports Illustrated's All-Breakout Team
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Monday August 25Bruce Arians says Jay Feely was let go early on so he can catch on with another team.