Carson Palmer jumps four spots in Ron Jaworski's QB rankings
He's on the precipice of surmounting 2,000 yards on the season, currently having thrown for 1,913 yards through eight games, and he has 10 touchdowns to boot.
But his issue this season is glaring -- his 14 interceptions have significantly injured his overall performance. Only the New York Giants' Eli Manning has thrown more picks through the first eight weeks of the season, having thrown 15.
Each week, ESPN's Ron Jaworski ranks the league's quarterbacks and this week Palmer came in at No. 19 -- up four spots from last week's ranking of No. 23.
Note: ESPN Insider subscription required to access above link.
Not surprisingly, the Denver Broncos' Peyton Manning took Jaworski's top spot while Case Keenum of the Houston Texans, the team the Cardinals play next, in Week 10, took No. 32.
Jaworski explains Palmer's jump thusly:
Palmer played better in the win over Atlanta, with his 78.1 QBR mark the highest since he notched a 79.3 score to open the season. That said, the biggest cause for his rise might be the plethora of new (or relatively new) QBs in the lower ranks.
Palmer completed 13 of his 18 passes in Week 8 against the Atlanta Falcons, throwing two touchdowns to one interception with an improved QBR of 78.1.
He is currently 13th among NFL quarterbacks in passing yards this season, 15th in completion percentage, 14th in touchdowns and 17th in yards per game.
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.