Arians: ‘Growth', not opposition, reason for O-line success vs. Falcons
Along with Carson Palmer's interception woes, the trade of offensive tackle Levi Brown, the team's defensive successes and Larry Fitzgerald's down year, the sustained struggles of the offensive line have made headlines throughout the year.
But Sunday versus the Atlanta Falcons, the Cardinals' offensive front seems to have dodged another round of Monday morning criticism. Though allowing three sacks, a closer look reveals that the line protected its quarterback extremely well, as Palmer was hurried just twice and .
In effect, the assumption was that the team's opponent was the biggest factor in the anomalous showing Sunday. The Falcons brought one of the NFC's worst defenses to University of Phoenix Stadium, according to points per game and sacks metrics. Headed into the contest, they had recorded just 14 sacks through their first seven games.
But head coach Bruce Arians believes it was the line's performance, not the Falcons' lack thereof, that deserves the credit for the improvement.
"I think it was a lot of growth," Arians explained Monday while a guest with The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta.
The coach went on to point out that, while the Falcons' defense as a whole has struggled throughout the season -- suffering injuries along the way, that their defensive linemen and linebackers haven't been among the troubled.
"That's a solid front," Arians said of Atlanta's defensive front.
"You know, that team was picked to win the Super Bowl by a lot of people. They have had some injuries, but they weren't to their linemen. So they're a good front, and they were missing just one linebacker, but I thought it was the best we played up front as a group and the tight ends especially played better."
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b