Rashad Johnson picks off pair of passes in Arizona Cardinals' win
Since that time, some have wondered how the, uh, injury would affect the safety. Johnson maintained all along that it would not be a problem, but until he had a chance to prove otherwise, people were likely a bit skeptical.
Sunday, he had his proof.
Johnson intercepted a pair of Matt Ryan passes in Arizona's 27-13 win, playing a key role in the Cardinals' dominant defensive effort. Along with the interceptions, the fifth-year pro contributed a tackle and three passes defensed.
"In this football game, there's so many plays that everybody's going to get an opportunity to make plays throughout the year," Johnson said. "I just wanted to continue not to press because I hadn't had any picks earlier in the season, and I knew they would come."
They did indeed, as Johnson played a good centerfield and was able to get to a couple of passes the quarterback floated down the field.
"You can't make those plays and expect your team to win," Ryan said of his interceptions, of which there were four. "You can't make those plays and think you're giving your team a chance to win."
No doubt it was a rough day at the office for Ryan, but for Johnson, it was an afternoon that was weeks in the making.
"It feels great," Johnson said. "It's a big blessing for me to be able to do what I love week-in and week-out. To go out and play at a high level and have the type of game I had today, I have to give all the thanks to God."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!