Updated Oct 27, 2013 - 6:31 pm
Cards running back Ellington shines in first career start
Those fans got their wish on Sunday with Mendenhall out because of a lingering toe injury, and Ellington may have exceeded even the loftiest of expectations.
The 5-foot-9, 200-pound speedster from Clemson rushed for 154 yards on 15 carries, including an 80-yard touchdown scamper that showcased Ellington's lateral quickness and blazing speed.
"He's so talented ... he's always making the first man miss," Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald said. "He's really versatile. He's somebody that can be on the field all three downs."
Ellington had struggled with pass protection and the auxiliary responsibilities of being an NFL running back like most rookies do. But Ellington said he's finally 100 percent healthy.
But Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians said he'll "see how everything goes" once Mendenhall is able to return to action, and added that while Ellington started the game, the number of reps he received didn't increase significantly.
Still, Ellington proved capable of handling even a slightly increased workload.
"He scared me one time when he went down," Arians said. "But we tried to keep him in space as much as possible."
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.