Updated Oct 27, 2013 - 6:31 pm
Cards running back Ellington shines in first career start
Those fans got their wish on Sunday with Mendenhall out because of a lingering toe injury, and Ellington may have exceeded even the loftiest of expectations.
The 5-foot-9, 200-pound speedster from Clemson rushed for 154 yards on 15 carries, including an 80-yard touchdown scamper that showcased Ellington's lateral quickness and blazing speed.
"He's so talented ... he's always making the first man miss," Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald said. "He's really versatile. He's somebody that can be on the field all three downs."
Ellington had struggled with pass protection and the auxiliary responsibilities of being an NFL running back like most rookies do. But Ellington said he's finally 100 percent healthy.
But Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians said he'll "see how everything goes" once Mendenhall is able to return to action, and added that while Ellington started the game, the number of reps he received didn't increase significantly.
Still, Ellington proved capable of handling even a slightly increased workload.
"He scared me one time when he went down," Arians said. "But we tried to keep him in space as much as possible."
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 Free Agent Headquarters
- Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!