Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald not focused on trade rumors
After all, even though the league's trade deadline is just days away, the NFL is traditionally not a league where there is much movement while games are being played.
Yet, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday morning that Larry Fitzgerald, the Arizona Cardinals' All-Pro receiver and face of the franchise, could be moved at the conclusion of this season -- if not a bit sooner than that.
Asked about the rumor after his team's 27-13 win over the Atlanta Falcons Sunday, Fitzgerald said essentially what you would expect.
"I don't know. I come to work every day and just focus on how I can help the Arizona Cardinals and help my team win," he said. "If they decide to move me, that happens. I have no control over any of that.
"I just focus on what I can do to improve and help my team."
The 30-year-old had a solid-if-unspectacular game Sunday, tallying 48 yards and a touchdown on four receptions. He's been dealing with a hamstring injury for the majority of the season, and admitted earlier in the week that he is not yet feeling 100 percent healthy.
But even injured, Fitzgerald is the Cardinals' most potent weapon in the passing game. He became the youngest player in history to reach the 800-career reception mark Sunday. He is one of the best receivers in the history of the game, and it would not make much sense for Arizona to move him while the team is 4-4 and very much in the playoff hunt.
At this point a trade would come as a shock to most, including Fitzgerald's quarterback.
"I actually hadn't heard that," Carson Palmer said when told of the rumor. "But I don't think -- I don't see that happening."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.