Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington to make first NFL start
It will be the first NFL start for the sixth-round pick out of Clemson when the Cardinals host the Falcons Sunday at University of Phoenix Stadium.
"He's been fantastic," Arians said Friday of Ellington, who has rushed for 179 yards on 28 carries, 64 fewer than Mendenhall. "He was great all preseason. Every chance he's had an opportunity, he's done the right thing. (I'm) more than confident in him."
Ellington also provides a receiving threat, boasting 20 catches for 190 yards on the season, sometimes coming out of the backfield or lining up in the slot.
"It's going to mean a lot to me because it's the next game. I'm able to play in another game in the NFL. I'm blessed to do that," he said Friday when asked about possibly starting. "I'm going to out there and give it my best."
Fellow rookie Stepfan Taylor will be the backup running back against Atlanta with Alfonso Smith as the third-down back. Ryan Williams, who was hoping to play this week, is inactive, as he has been all season long.
The other inactives: Receiver Brittan Golden, quarterback Ryan Lindley, guard Earl Watford, tight end Kory Sperry and defensive end Ronald Talley.
Mendenhall did not practice all week because of a toe injury. Golden was limited with a hamstring issue, while Watford was dealing with a knee and Talley a wrist.
Right tackle Bobby Massie is active for the second straight week. Linebacker and former Hamilton High School standout Dontay Moch is active after sitting out against Seattle. And tight end D.C. Jefferson will be in uniform for the first time since Week 4 at Tampa Bay.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- The Pulse: Cardinals fans most excited to see division rivals
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.