ESPN's Ron Jaworski: Dearth of quality quarterbacks in the NFL right now
ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski said Thursday while on Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo show that what's happening to the Cardinals at quarterback is part of a league-wide phenomenon.
"It's pretty scary, guys," Jaworski said pejoratively of some of the quarterbacks that NFL teams have on their roster.
He pointed to Atlanta's Dominique Davis, Pittsburgh's Bruce Gradkowski, Denver's Brock Osweiler and Cincinnati's Josh Johnson as examples of how teams are struggling to find serviceable backups.
"These are guys that have had literally no NFL experience, and they're one snap away from having to carry a team's fortunes," the analyst said.
He said he's not even sure if the league boasts 32 "competent" starting quarterbacks -- an average of one per team -- at this time. He also said a rash of injuries has further diluted the overall quality of the position.
"And I think the league is concerned," said Jaworski, who played quarterback for 14 years for the Rams, Eagles, Dolphins and Chiefs. "There have been an inordinate number of injuries, by my count."
There are such slim pickings at the position that St. Louis, which lost starting QB Sam Bradford to a torn ACL last Sunday, reportedly contacted Brett Favre to see if he had any interest in joining the team. Favre, who last played in 2010, turned down the offer.
Despite the perceived lack of talent at quarterback, Jaworski said things are looking up for the league in the near future.
"I actually think the quality coming out of college is much better than it was a few years ago," he said. "I think there's better coaching right now. There are more passing (offenses) that have NFL concepts.
"The feeder system is good."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.