Monday Morning Quarterback: Cardinals tackle Bradley Sowell named 'Goat of the Week'
After Thursday's contest -- in which the line allowed a season-high seven sacks and 13 quarterback hits -- ArizonaSports.com's Adam Green wrote that the Cardinals need to protect Carson Palmer, not pull him.
Friday, head coach Bruce Arians called out the unit, noting that only starting center Lyle Sendlein graded out well in the 12-point defeat.
Monday, general manager Steve Keim continued the conversation by calling the O-line's performance against Seattle the 'worst game' of the season.
And to top it all off Monday, SI.com's Peter King saved a dubious individual award for left tackle Bradley Sowell, who struggled to contain the Seahawks' Chris Clemons, Tony McDaniel and Bruce Irvin in passing situations.
Sowell, along with Detroit Lions punter Sam Martin were named the 'Goats of the Week' in King's weekly Monday Morning Quarterback column.
And to make matters worse, the senior NFL writer couldn't even get the second-year pro's name correct in the article.
Brandon Sowell, left tackle, Arizona. The lowest-rated tackle in the respected Pro Football Focus rankings (74th of 74 tackles before Sunday's games) was the biggest problem in Carson Palmer's major struggles Thursday night in the loss to Seattle. On one play, Seattle rusher Chris Clemons pushed Sowell back hard into Palmer. For the game, Sowell allowed two sacks, two quarterback knockdowns and five quarterback pressures. As Lawrence Taylor once said to Ken O'Brien: "Gotta do better than that, son."
Sowell, who went undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft, was claimed by the Cardinals off of waivers back on Sept. 1. Since Arizona parted ways with Levi Brown earlier in the month, the 24-year-old has started the last three games in his place at left tackle.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.