Monday Morning Quarterback: Cardinals tackle Bradley Sowell named 'Goat of the Week'
After Thursday's contest -- in which the line allowed a season-high seven sacks and 13 quarterback hits -- ArizonaSports.com's Adam Green wrote that the Cardinals need to protect Carson Palmer, not pull him.
Friday, head coach Bruce Arians called out the unit, noting that only starting center Lyle Sendlein graded out well in the 12-point defeat.
Monday, general manager Steve Keim continued the conversation by calling the O-line's performance against Seattle the 'worst game' of the season.
And to top it all off Monday, SI.com's Peter King saved a dubious individual award for left tackle Bradley Sowell, who struggled to contain the Seahawks' Chris Clemons, Tony McDaniel and Bruce Irvin in passing situations.
Sowell, along with Detroit Lions punter Sam Martin were named the 'Goats of the Week' in King's weekly Monday Morning Quarterback column.
And to make matters worse, the senior NFL writer couldn't even get the second-year pro's name correct in the article.
Brandon Sowell, left tackle, Arizona. The lowest-rated tackle in the respected Pro Football Focus rankings (74th of 74 tackles before Sunday's games) was the biggest problem in Carson Palmer's major struggles Thursday night in the loss to Seattle. On one play, Seattle rusher Chris Clemons pushed Sowell back hard into Palmer. For the game, Sowell allowed two sacks, two quarterback knockdowns and five quarterback pressures. As Lawrence Taylor once said to Ken O'Brien: "Gotta do better than that, son."
Sowell, who went undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft, was claimed by the Cardinals off of waivers back on Sept. 1. Since Arizona parted ways with Levi Brown earlier in the month, the 24-year-old has started the last three games in his place at left tackle.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 Free Agent Headquarters
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!