Monday Morning Quarterback: Cardinals tackle Bradley Sowell named 'Goat of the Week'
After Thursday's contest -- in which the line allowed a season-high seven sacks and 13 quarterback hits -- ArizonaSports.com's Adam Green wrote that the Cardinals need to protect Carson Palmer, not pull him.
Friday, head coach Bruce Arians called out the unit, noting that only starting center Lyle Sendlein graded out well in the 12-point defeat.
Monday, general manager Steve Keim continued the conversation by calling the O-line's performance against Seattle the 'worst game' of the season.
And to top it all off Monday, SI.com's Peter King saved a dubious individual award for left tackle Bradley Sowell, who struggled to contain the Seahawks' Chris Clemons, Tony McDaniel and Bruce Irvin in passing situations.
Sowell, along with Detroit Lions punter Sam Martin were named the 'Goats of the Week' in King's weekly Monday Morning Quarterback column.
And to make matters worse, the senior NFL writer couldn't even get the second-year pro's name correct in the article.
Brandon Sowell, left tackle, Arizona. The lowest-rated tackle in the respected Pro Football Focus rankings (74th of 74 tackles before Sunday's games) was the biggest problem in Carson Palmer's major struggles Thursday night in the loss to Seattle. On one play, Seattle rusher Chris Clemons pushed Sowell back hard into Palmer. For the game, Sowell allowed two sacks, two quarterback knockdowns and five quarterback pressures. As Lawrence Taylor once said to Ken O'Brien: "Gotta do better than that, son."
Sowell, who went undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft, was claimed by the Cardinals off of waivers back on Sept. 1. Since Arizona parted ways with Levi Brown earlier in the month, the 24-year-old has started the last three games in his place at left tackle.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.