Updated Oct 15, 2013 - 10:05 am
Arizona Cardinals' QB Carson Palmer needs to lead team to wins
To win consistently in this league, you need to have a good quarterback. In a league with so much parity, a quarterback will be directly responsible for many of a team's wins. Such is not the case with the Arizona Cardinals, and Carson Palmer yet.
Through six games, Arizona is 3-3, and they have yet to win a game because of their quarterback. But they have lost games because of him.
In the win over Detroit, Arizona got four field goals from Jay Feely, a blocked field goal on special teams by Justin Bethel and big plays by Andre Ellington and Tyrann Mathieu. In the win over Tampa Bay, the Cardinals overcame two Palmer interceptions and won behind two picks by Patrick Peterson, a fumble recovery by Matt Shaugnhessy and a defense that held the Buccaneers to 253 yards, including just 45 yards on 27 carries by Doug Martin.
That, by the way, was the game head coach Bruce Arians called the Cardinals offense "putrid." Against Carolina, the Cardinals overcame three more interceptions by Palmer and relied on a defense that had seven sacks and three interceptions to lead the way.
At some point, Palmer has to win his teammates and fans over by winning a game for Arizona. He has to have a game in which he limits his mistakes and leads the Cardinals. He is more than capable of being the catalyst in some Cardinals wins. Right now, Arizona is 3-3 because of special teams and defense. The offense has yet to deliver, and that is on Palmer.
It would be nice on a Big Red Monday to praise Palmer for leading the team to victory and not rip him for another lackluster performance.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.