Updated Oct 15, 2013 - 10:05 am
Arizona Cardinals' QB Carson Palmer needs to lead team to wins
To win consistently in this league, you need to have a good quarterback. In a league with so much parity, a quarterback will be directly responsible for many of a team's wins. Such is not the case with the Arizona Cardinals, and Carson Palmer yet.
Through six games, Arizona is 3-3, and they have yet to win a game because of their quarterback. But they have lost games because of him.
In the win over Detroit, Arizona got four field goals from Jay Feely, a blocked field goal on special teams by Justin Bethel and big plays by Andre Ellington and Tyrann Mathieu. In the win over Tampa Bay, the Cardinals overcame two Palmer interceptions and won behind two picks by Patrick Peterson, a fumble recovery by Matt Shaugnhessy and a defense that held the Buccaneers to 253 yards, including just 45 yards on 27 carries by Doug Martin.
That, by the way, was the game head coach Bruce Arians called the Cardinals offense "putrid." Against Carolina, the Cardinals overcame three more interceptions by Palmer and relied on a defense that had seven sacks and three interceptions to lead the way.
At some point, Palmer has to win his teammates and fans over by winning a game for Arizona. He has to have a game in which he limits his mistakes and leads the Cardinals. He is more than capable of being the catalyst in some Cardinals wins. Right now, Arizona is 3-3 because of special teams and defense. The offense has yet to deliver, and that is on Palmer.
It would be nice on a Big Red Monday to praise Palmer for leading the team to victory and not rip him for another lackluster performance.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.