Updated Oct 15, 2013 - 10:05 am
Arizona Cardinals' QB Carson Palmer needs to lead team to wins
To win consistently in this league, you need to have a good quarterback. In a league with so much parity, a quarterback will be directly responsible for many of a team's wins. Such is not the case with the Arizona Cardinals, and Carson Palmer yet.
Through six games, Arizona is 3-3, and they have yet to win a game because of their quarterback. But they have lost games because of him.
In the win over Detroit, Arizona got four field goals from Jay Feely, a blocked field goal on special teams by Justin Bethel and big plays by Andre Ellington and Tyrann Mathieu. In the win over Tampa Bay, the Cardinals overcame two Palmer interceptions and won behind two picks by Patrick Peterson, a fumble recovery by Matt Shaugnhessy and a defense that held the Buccaneers to 253 yards, including just 45 yards on 27 carries by Doug Martin.
That, by the way, was the game head coach Bruce Arians called the Cardinals offense "putrid." Against Carolina, the Cardinals overcame three more interceptions by Palmer and relied on a defense that had seven sacks and three interceptions to lead the way.
At some point, Palmer has to win his teammates and fans over by winning a game for Arizona. He has to have a game in which he limits his mistakes and leads the Cardinals. He is more than capable of being the catalyst in some Cardinals wins. Right now, Arizona is 3-3 because of special teams and defense. The offense has yet to deliver, and that is on Palmer.
It would be nice on a Big Red Monday to praise Palmer for leading the team to victory and not rip him for another lackluster performance.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?