Updated Oct 16, 2013 - 3:20 pm
Arizona Cardinals downplay lingering effects of 2012 blowout loss in Seattle
Not only was the 58-0 loss on Dec. 9, 2012, embarrassing in itself, but it became the lowest point of a once-promising campaign; it was the punctuation mark of the team's nine-game losing streak -- one that followed four straight wins to open the season. Surprisingly, Arizona came back and ended its losing streak the following week against Detroit, but the season was long lost by that point.
"Obviously we weren't ready last time," Cardinals center Lyle Sendlein said Monday. "And that was kind of the beginning to the end for us last year. We're going to go out there with the attitude to change things of how it happened last year.
"We're a different team. Most of the guys weren't even here last year for that."
Sendlein tried to brush the game off as irrelevant to the current Cardinals squad, but another answer he gives reveals that there may be some ripple effects still in play.
"Like I said, most of the guys that were on that team last year aren't here right now," he said. "And those who are, you know, that's something you don't forget when you go out there and experience that on the road -- a kind of low point of the season."
Head coach Bruce Arians, who wasn't with the team last year, said he hasn't heard any players talking about the loss to Seattle, but he offered his own take on the upcoming rematch.
"That was long, long ago. Don't really care about it," he said. "We're 3-3. They're 5-1. And that's all it's about."
With a shortened week of practice before the next game, Arians said his team will spend more time doing walk-thrus and recovering from Sunday's game in San Francisco, a 32-20 loss.
Seattle sits atop the NFC West at 5-1, and is the favorite in Thursday's game in Glendale.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?