Updated Oct 16, 2013 - 3:20 pm
Arizona Cardinals downplay lingering effects of 2012 blowout loss in Seattle
Not only was the 58-0 loss on Dec. 9, 2012, embarrassing in itself, but it became the lowest point of a once-promising campaign; it was the punctuation mark of the team's nine-game losing streak -- one that followed four straight wins to open the season. Surprisingly, Arizona came back and ended its losing streak the following week against Detroit, but the season was long lost by that point.
"Obviously we weren't ready last time," Cardinals center Lyle Sendlein said Monday. "And that was kind of the beginning to the end for us last year. We're going to go out there with the attitude to change things of how it happened last year.
"We're a different team. Most of the guys weren't even here last year for that."
Sendlein tried to brush the game off as irrelevant to the current Cardinals squad, but another answer he gives reveals that there may be some ripple effects still in play.
"Like I said, most of the guys that were on that team last year aren't here right now," he said. "And those who are, you know, that's something you don't forget when you go out there and experience that on the road -- a kind of low point of the season."
Head coach Bruce Arians, who wasn't with the team last year, said he hasn't heard any players talking about the loss to Seattle, but he offered his own take on the upcoming rematch.
"That was long, long ago. Don't really care about it," he said. "We're 3-3. They're 5-1. And that's all it's about."
With a shortened week of practice before the next game, Arians said his team will spend more time doing walk-thrus and recovering from Sunday's game in San Francisco, a 32-20 loss.
Seattle sits atop the NFC West at 5-1, and is the favorite in Thursday's game in Glendale.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves