Cards' Dan Williams welcomes normalcy in return from tragedy
Williams missed a pair of games after his father was killed while driving to New Orleans for the Cardinals' Week 3 game against the Saints, but the fourth-year pro returned to action for the Cardinals against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday at University of Phoenix Stadium.
"The thing that takes your mind off tragedy is football," said Williams, who recorded a tackle in the Cardinals' 22-6 win Sunday. "It helps to get some kind of normalcy in my life."
Williams said he experienced a similar situation during his senior year at Tennessee, when his paternal grandmother died during the week of the Volunteers' season opener. The wreck that killed Williams' father also hospitalized his sister and mother, though both were expected to recover from their injuries.
Williams said that it "meant a lot" to him that team president Michael Bidwill and eight other team members attended the funeral.
"I definitely call the Arizona Cardinals my family," Williams said.
- Tommy Kelly happy to be wanted, with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves