Updated Oct 11, 2013 - 5:29 pm
ESPN's John Clayton talks Carson Palmer's picks, Larry Fitzgerald's production
ESPN NFL analyst John Clayton told Doug & Wolf Friday that he's not overly surprised about Palmer's interceptions, but there are two other statistics that make him worry about the Cardinals' signal caller.
"Right now, he's only completed like 3-of-20 passes downfield of 15 yards or more," Clayton said. "And his game has been the downfield throws."
Besides Palmer's inability to complete the long ball, Clayton said he's also worried about wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald's low number of receptions through five games.
"I don't know if it's (Fitzgerald's) hamstring, I don't know if it's Carson Palmer, but 24 catches for Larry Fitzgerald in now five games that's not Larry Fitzgerald numbers you anticipate," the analyst said.
One could argue Fitzgerald didn't put up his usual numbers last year either: He finished with 798 yards (second lowest of his career) and four touchdowns (lowest of his career) in 2012. Perhaps the Cardinals' quarterback situation hasn't improved as much as they thought it had with their offseason acquisitions of Palmer and Drew Stanton.
On the bright side, Clayton pointed out Palmer is still on pace to reach 4,000 passing yards, as the 33-year-old did last season in Oakland.
"And if you put a 4,000-yard thrower on the Cardinals, that's going to win 6, 7, 8 games," Clayton said. "It's interesting to see the things you did expect (from Palmer) not happening -- him linking up with Fitzgerald; him getting the ball downfield. I mean, you knew he was going to throw the picks; that's just Carson Palmer."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Arizona Cardinals' Bobby Massie eager to earn back starting job at right tackle
- A 'confident' Andre Ellington excited about increased role with Arizona Cardinals
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Fighting not tolerated in Cardinals camp
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.