Updated Oct 10, 2013 - 5:07 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Dave Zastudil enjoying rare recognition
And if you do listen, there's a good chance you've heard the recent Arizona Cardinals promo trumpeting the benefits of the drug 'Zastudil' -- a play on the last name of Cardinals punter Dave Zastudil. Admit it, it sounds like a drug name, right?
Well, Zastudil himself has heard it, and the normally understated veteran is enjoying a little bit of attention thrown (or punted) his way.
"It's nice. I'm just hoping I can get a sample when it's all said and done," Zastudil joked following practice Thursday. "I've got a good sense of humor about that stuff, I think it's funny.
"I always try to stay under the radar, but when things like this happen, it's out of my control and you just try to have fun with it."
Zastudil is getting attention for his on-field performance as well. The 11-year veteran is averaging 44.5 yards per punt, but has planted a league-high 16 of his 28 punts (57 percent) inside the opponent's 20-yard line.
But the punter's success in 2013 hasn't been solely his responsibility; he's got a partner in crime. Gunner Justin Bethel has been a huge part of Arizona's punt coverage team, beating opponents downfield and downing the ball.
"He's really key," Zastudil said about Bethel. "He always seems to make his presence felt on the punt coverage team. It's nice knowing that you have a guy down there that impacts the game so much, it kind of makes your job a little easier.
"I think we've got one of those mutual respect relationships going on and we just try to get better every week. I think Justin inspires other guys on the team to play better."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.