Cardinals' Arians, Peterson embrace defensive identity
For head coach Bruce Arians, that's exactly what he had in mind when taking over the Cardinals, saying he supports being known as a defensive-first team.
"I love it," Arians said. "That's always been my motto and we want to be dominant on defense. We'll scratch some points out, but we always want to be a dominating defensive football team."
Star cornerback Patrick Peterson, who has three interceptions on the year, agrees with that mentality.
"The saying always stands true: ‘Defense wins championships,'" Peterson said. "If we want to be a good ball club, our defense must be strong."
The Cardinals are coming off a strong defensive year in 2012, but a tough schedule, inactive players and getting used to a new coaching staff might have hidden the true talent level of the group. With tough matchups coming up in the next two weeks, against San Francisco and Seattle, Arians remains confident in his defense.
"I think our defense matches up with everybody," Arians said. "We've got good speed. We're starting to understand the defense better each week."
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.