Practice time can't hurt, but Cardinals' RB Mendenhall looking to rebound from dismal effort
A free agent pickup in the offseason, Mendenhall rushed for 21 yards on 12 carries while fumbling twice -- the last of which came while he was about to run out of bounds with less than two minutes remaining as the Cardinals were trying to run down the clock.
In fact, the only thing that salvaged the play was that he fumbled out of bounds, preventing the Buccaneers from recovering the ball as the clock continued ticking away.
"Rashard had a very tough day," Arians said after the game. "He can't play that way.
"He can't run out of bounds; he's a veteran. To run out of bounds at the end of the game was ridiculous -- that was the worst mistake he made all day."
Arians added that he felt the coaches needed to practice Mendenhall "a little bit harder," as he feels they had been a bit lenient on him due to various injuries.
After practice Friday, Mendenhall said he doesn't necessarily agree with his coach's assessment, but knows he can't have a repeat performance.
"Maybe [the lack of practice time] had something to do with it, but all in all that wasn't acceptable and I have to do better," he said. "That's what I'm working towards."
On the season, Mendenhall has gained 176 yards on 52 carries with one touchdown. He's also caught seven passes for 57 yards, but failed to provide the team with the ground threat it hoped he would be. Some of that may be on the offensive line as well as the game plan, but the former 1,000-yard rusher expects better, which is why he won't forget last week's shortcomings.
"You look at everything the same way and it's to get better," he said. "You look at the mistakes, you look at what happened and how you could do that better."
That said, he's looking forward to getting back on the field Sunday against the Panthers because it will offer him a chance to put something better on tape.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.