Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson: 'I definitely feel that I am the best corner in the game'
Going to the Pro Bowl in each of one's first two seasons and generally being regarded as one of the NFL's best at one's position will do that.
The third-year pro has often said that his goal is to be the best cornerback in the game, and his head coach Bruce Arians has stated he believes Peterson is just that. And in an interview with Pro Football Talk, Peterson said he appreciates his coach's confidence in him and doesn't disagree with the assessment.
"I definitely feel that I am the best corner in the game," Peterson said. "I just want to continue getting better each and every week. I'm pleasured to have that opportunity each and every week to go up against the offense's best receiver, and I believe if you can do that week in and week out there's no question that you can be, that you are the number one defensive back in the league."
Peterson, who has intercepted 11 passes in 36 games played, is generally assigned to cover the opposing team's top wide receiver. He got off to a bit of a rocky start this season, as quarterbacks had compiled a perfect rating of 158.3 when targeting the former LSU star through the first three games, but his two interceptions last Sunday in Tampa led the Cardinals to a win and Peterson to the NFC Defensive Player of the Week award.
So whether Peterson is the best cornerback in the league or not, he's certainly in the conversation.
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b