Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson: 'I definitely feel that I am the best corner in the game'
Going to the Pro Bowl in each of one's first two seasons and generally being regarded as one of the NFL's best at one's position will do that.
The third-year pro has often said that his goal is to be the best cornerback in the game, and his head coach Bruce Arians has stated he believes Peterson is just that. And in an interview with Pro Football Talk, Peterson said he appreciates his coach's confidence in him and doesn't disagree with the assessment.
"I definitely feel that I am the best corner in the game," Peterson said. "I just want to continue getting better each and every week. I'm pleasured to have that opportunity each and every week to go up against the offense's best receiver, and I believe if you can do that week in and week out there's no question that you can be, that you are the number one defensive back in the league."
Peterson, who has intercepted 11 passes in 36 games played, is generally assigned to cover the opposing team's top wide receiver. He got off to a bit of a rocky start this season, as quarterbacks had compiled a perfect rating of 158.3 when targeting the former LSU star through the first three games, but his two interceptions last Sunday in Tampa led the Cardinals to a win and Peterson to the NFC Defensive Player of the Week award.
So whether Peterson is the best cornerback in the league or not, he's certainly in the conversation.
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kicker Jay Feely wants to be back with Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!