Updated Oct 3, 2013 - 12:46 pm
Christmas has come early -- Levi Brown is gone!
Yes, the worst left tackle in the game was traded today to the Pittsburgh Steelers for a case of Iron City Beer. OK, maybe it was a late-round draft pick and not a case of beer, but either way he was traded and that's a good thing.
Somehow I still can't understand why the Steelers wanted him. Yes, their starting left tackle -- second-year man Mike Adams of Ohio State -- has given up 4 sacks. But so has Levi, who has also given up six quarterback hits and eight hurries. Pro Football Focus has Brown rated as the 60th worst tackle out of 72 in their rankings.
Give credit to GM Steve Keim for realizing that Brown needed to go. He actually needed to go a long time ago, but Keim is the boss for the first time and he obviously wasn't going to put up with Brown's lackluster play. That he got something, anything for Bad Bad Levi Brown is a plus.
Sometimes in a trade, it's addition by subtraction. Arizona is better because Levi is no longer here. Let's face it, he wasn't a hard worker, didn't seem to care as much as we would have liked and clearly wasn't capable of protecting the quarterback's blind side.
Look, Arizona still needs a left tackle. Bradley Sowell will be replacing Brown for now, and while he may or may not be the answer, he certainly can't be any worse than the turnstile Arizona has endured for six years.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.