Updated Oct 3, 2013 - 12:46 pm
Christmas has come early -- Levi Brown is gone!
Yes, the worst left tackle in the game was traded today to the Pittsburgh Steelers for a case of Iron City Beer. OK, maybe it was a late-round draft pick and not a case of beer, but either way he was traded and that's a good thing.
Somehow I still can't understand why the Steelers wanted him. Yes, their starting left tackle -- second-year man Mike Adams of Ohio State -- has given up 4 sacks. But so has Levi, who has also given up six quarterback hits and eight hurries. Pro Football Focus has Brown rated as the 60th worst tackle out of 72 in their rankings.
Give credit to GM Steve Keim for realizing that Brown needed to go. He actually needed to go a long time ago, but Keim is the boss for the first time and he obviously wasn't going to put up with Brown's lackluster play. That he got something, anything for Bad Bad Levi Brown is a plus.
Sometimes in a trade, it's addition by subtraction. Arizona is better because Levi is no longer here. Let's face it, he wasn't a hard worker, didn't seem to care as much as we would have liked and clearly wasn't capable of protecting the quarterback's blind side.
Look, Arizona still needs a left tackle. Bradley Sowell will be replacing Brown for now, and while he may or may not be the answer, he certainly can't be any worse than the turnstile Arizona has endured for six years.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.