Updated Oct 3, 2013 - 12:46 pm
Christmas has come early -- Levi Brown is gone!
Yes, the worst left tackle in the game was traded today to the Pittsburgh Steelers for a case of Iron City Beer. OK, maybe it was a late-round draft pick and not a case of beer, but either way he was traded and that's a good thing.
Somehow I still can't understand why the Steelers wanted him. Yes, their starting left tackle -- second-year man Mike Adams of Ohio State -- has given up 4 sacks. But so has Levi, who has also given up six quarterback hits and eight hurries. Pro Football Focus has Brown rated as the 60th worst tackle out of 72 in their rankings.
Give credit to GM Steve Keim for realizing that Brown needed to go. He actually needed to go a long time ago, but Keim is the boss for the first time and he obviously wasn't going to put up with Brown's lackluster play. That he got something, anything for Bad Bad Levi Brown is a plus.
Sometimes in a trade, it's addition by subtraction. Arizona is better because Levi is no longer here. Let's face it, he wasn't a hard worker, didn't seem to care as much as we would have liked and clearly wasn't capable of protecting the quarterback's blind side.
Look, Arizona still needs a left tackle. Bradley Sowell will be replacing Brown for now, and while he may or may not be the answer, he certainly can't be any worse than the turnstile Arizona has endured for six years.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.