Updated Oct 3, 2013 - 12:46 pm
Christmas has come early -- Levi Brown is gone!
Yes, the worst left tackle in the game was traded today to the Pittsburgh Steelers for a case of Iron City Beer. OK, maybe it was a late-round draft pick and not a case of beer, but either way he was traded and that's a good thing.
Somehow I still can't understand why the Steelers wanted him. Yes, their starting left tackle -- second-year man Mike Adams of Ohio State -- has given up 4 sacks. But so has Levi, who has also given up six quarterback hits and eight hurries. Pro Football Focus has Brown rated as the 60th worst tackle out of 72 in their rankings.
Give credit to GM Steve Keim for realizing that Brown needed to go. He actually needed to go a long time ago, but Keim is the boss for the first time and he obviously wasn't going to put up with Brown's lackluster play. That he got something, anything for Bad Bad Levi Brown is a plus.
Sometimes in a trade, it's addition by subtraction. Arizona is better because Levi is no longer here. Let's face it, he wasn't a hard worker, didn't seem to care as much as we would have liked and clearly wasn't capable of protecting the quarterback's blind side.
Look, Arizona still needs a left tackle. Bradley Sowell will be replacing Brown for now, and while he may or may not be the answer, he certainly can't be any worse than the turnstile Arizona has endured for six years.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.